Keeping Records

Keep track of ALL your purchases and sales and instructions to your broker/financial advisor.  These are normally also provided in a monthly account activity statement.  But keep your own set in case there is a dispute.  You will also get a 1099 form summarizing your annual activity for tax purposes.

In case something goes wrong you will need your records.  In  our section Selecting a Full Service Broker/Advisor - Things To Do If Something Goes Wrong , will explain what your options are if instructions are not followed or trades are not made (see Stock Brokers & Brokerage Accounts).